Sunday, May 24, 2015

My 3 Biggest Hurdles in Blogging

In March of 2015 I decided to start a blog called Park Street Chic. I had thought about starting a blog before, but never really got around to it because of the amount of time I needed to put into getting the blog up and running. Here are three of the major issues I faced while creating and maintaining Park Street Chic:

1. Blog Creation. To my surprise creating a blog and the layout was super easy! I opted to find a layout I could buy because my website creating skills are not up to par. For the more technical savvy or people on a tight budget, I'm sure you could figure out how to create a custom layout! Luckily I found a website called Pipdig. The offer many different layouts for both Blogger and WordPress at a very reasonable price! Pipdig is great too because it comes with downloadable instructions on how to get everything up and running, as well as links to other sites they recommend for adding widgets like Instagram and Pinterest feeds to your blog. For anyone looking to add life to their blog, I would suggest you try Pipdig.

I knew exactly what the first post to Park Street Chic would be (see the post here), but after the initial post I began to face three major issues:

2. Content Creation. Why it didn't occur to me to come up with a somewhat organized content schedule is beyond me! Since my blog is all about personal style, beauty, and adventures I knew some things could be documented in advance for quick posts. Now I have a routine schedule that includes outfit posts, beauty product hauls, product reviews, wishlists, and adventures. My tip to you is come up with an idea of what you want to post and CREATE a schedule.

(The amount of memes I make from pictures of my sister is becoming a problem.)

3. Posting Regularly. This was probably my biggest fault in creating Park Street Chic. Much like the content, I didn't come up with a specific time I was going to post. This became a problem when I got busy with school, work, and life in general because that meant posting was pushed to the back burner. Eventually I ended up not blogging for the entire month of April! Consistent posts helps to keep readers coming back, and also keeps everyone engaged with one another. If possible, create special posts in advance that are not time-sensitive that can easily be published to your blog when you're busy or have writer's block. I currently post once a week on Thursdays, but I hope to add more content at some point in the future.

Both businesses and non-professionals alike can face these problems. While my blog is solely just for fun, learning from these three mistakes I have made will definitely help me with the growth of the blog.

Have you had any issues creating or maintaining your blog? Let me know in the comments below and check out Park Street Chic and let me know what you think!

::::Destiny

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Keeping a blog up can be so time consuming. Especially when it is managed by one person. Spell check, grammar check, and content check are tasks itself aside from just blogging. I like to think of blogging as a job or hw assignment - something that HAS to be done. I like how you mention keeping a schedule! I need to try that! Issues that I've had in the creation of my blog was discovering my brand. I went through the errors of creating an deleting multiple blogs because they didn't fit me. Thankfully I've discovered my brand and realized that it's two-part. Good luck in your blogging ventures!

    ReplyDelete

© PURL221 Social Media Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig